Ugly Duckling Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's new

+10
obie
freshkest
johnny bluff
Pidge
turntablist
gary barry gordon
dizzy dustin
JRS_One
pipehitterz
martymcfly
14 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

What's new Empty What's new

Post  martymcfly Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:41 am

so what have you brought/downloaded recently? me...

hilltop hoods - state of the art
charlie 2na - fish outta water
yoda - cut paste 30s
grand puba - retroactive
speech defect - happy hunting
martymcfly
martymcfly

Back to top Go down

What's new Empty Re: What's new

Post  pipehitterz Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:50 pm

martymcfly wrote:so what have you brought/downloaded recently? me...

hilltop hoods - state of the art
charlie 2na - fish outta water
yoda - cut paste 30s
grand puba - retroactive
speech defect - happy hunting

dude, there's some disappointing albums right there
pipehitterz
pipehitterz

Back to top Go down

Post  JRS_One Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:39 pm

My fav is probably Slaughterhouse.

Really really good album. Also loved the La Coka Nostra album.

Torae & Marco Polo - Double Barrell (Good album that harks back to the 90's Boom Bap era)
Louis Logic - Sin-A-Matic : 80's Edition (cool remix album using all 80's samples.)

This week i've listened too:

Jay Z - BP3 (Alright, got about 3 or 4 really good songs, Empire State Of Mind ft Alicia Keys has been on repeat constant, rest are average jay-z)

Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx 2 - A really good album if you a Wu fan, was expecting to be let down, but its actually really good.

Termanology - Time Machine - I really like this album, couple of really really good songs on here.

MOP - Foundation - Pretty good new album by MOP
JRS_One
JRS_One

Back to top Go down

Post  JRS_One Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:02 pm

Also just downloaded that new KRS One and Buckshot album - Survial Skills

Still on the first listen at the minute, but its really good so far.
JRS_One
JRS_One

Back to top Go down

Post  pipehitterz Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:34 pm

holy sh*t. im listening to hip hop at a completely different end of the scale to you guys, this thread would be re titled 'my worst nightmare hip hop'

sorry guys, not an attack, i just find this type of hip hop shhiiiiiiiiiiiitttteee right now, and as for raekwons nowey, probably the biggest pile of humph i did hear this year Crying or Very sad along with charli 2na and speech defect's was plain awful Crying or Very sad

im listening to

soulbrotha - collectors item
lushlife - cassette city
tanya morgan - brooklynati
solution - shine through
js one - ground original 2 no sell out
j rawls + john robinson(scienz of life) - jay are 1960's jazz revolution again
just me - before the twilight
the returners - break up your make up
vee - state of mind

and still lovin

cunninlynguists - strange journey
j live - then what happened
lone catalysts - square biniz

basically lovin that jazzy hip hop style, alot, hating on the guns drugs anf bitches rap alot more.
pipehitterz
pipehitterz

Back to top Go down

Post  JRS_One Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:43 pm

I will listen to all types of hip hop.

I just don't see how you can even be a fan of the classic hip hop from the 90's if you don't enjoy Marco Polo beats or rhymes from Slaughterhouse, Termanology, Louis Logic.

I mean, rappers like Royce Da 5'9 are on some straight Bragadicious rap, but sh*t, so's Big Daddy Kane. Term's like an updated Big Pun/Kool G Rap.

I love that soulful jazzy hip hop too. But I couldn't ONLY listen to it.

lol, not like I'm listening to Gucci man and OJ da juiceman and solja boi.
JRS_One
JRS_One

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzy dustin Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:32 pm

I'd have to agree with pipes. I really like speech defect but really confused on that last album. Thought it was a joke of some sorts, a concept album but come to find out theyre switching it up. Really cool cats though.
dizzy dustin
dizzy dustin

Back to top Go down

Post  gary barry gordon Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:37 am

Well, I haven't bought any hip-hop in some time now. I had no idea Yoda had a new CD! I'ma find it (hopefully with Audacity)!

However, my recent purchases;

1 Giant Leap (all their stuff) - I just can't get enough of it (I'm a big~ish Faithless fan)
Billy Thorpe's final album, Solo Acoustic (he's an Aussie rock god, you'd probably know Most People I Know Think That I'm Crazy)
UnClubbed (I love my novelty music & I reckon half the album is decent)
Ben Harper & Relentless7, White Lise For Dark Times - it seems to be hit & miss with BH fans, but I love the whole album

I think there's more, but if so I can't remember.
gary barry gordon
gary barry gordon

Back to top Go down

Post  pipehitterz Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:52 am

JRS_One wrote:I will listen to all types of hip hop.

I just don't see how you can even be a fan of the classic hip hop from the 90's if you don't enjoy Marco Polo beats or rhymes from Slaughterhouse, Termanology, Louis Logic.

I mean, rappers like Royce Da 5'9 are on some straight Bragadicious rap, but sh*t, so's Big Daddy Kane. Term's like an updated Big Pun/Kool G Rap.

I love that soulful jazzy hip hop too. But I couldn't ONLY listen to it.

lol, not like I'm listening to Gucci man and OJ da juiceman and solja boi.

i can see the problem between what we listen too, you regard 90's hip hop as classic where i regard early 80's as classic, its just my age a suppose, ex 10 year old bboy circa 1982 lol.

early 90's hip hop was dope, but it was all about slammin and bitches (lol almost) i prefer the boom bap but still regard the likes of blahzay blahzay as one of my favourite hip hop albums, early mobb deep, artifacts, cru, they all dropped awesome albums that i'd regard as 90's classics, but if you feel that marco polo is dropping beats like that then you need a hearing test lol, he'd dream about producing classics like that, and you know he's desperate too, but generally he gets saved by the choice of m.c, he guests with the very same guys rappin back in the earlt 90's.

anyways, i dont always listen to the jazzy, but in terms of new, i aint heard anything i like for an age cuz hip hop's been dying a death for years, and most crews have jumped ship onto jiggy sh*t and european house producers, i listened to black eyed peas - bridging the gap, the other day and had a tear in the eye, they were so J5 back then, equally so were J5 lol.

newest album i got that aint jazzy is RZA - digi snacks, if you like that kind of thing its great, but bobby digital albums aint for everyone, this is the last one in the trilogy and its very very toned down, and quite mellow
pipehitterz
pipehitterz

Back to top Go down

Post  pipehitterz Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:55 am

dizzy dustin wrote:I'd have to agree with pipes. I really like speech defect but really confused on that last album. Thought it was a joke of some sorts, a concept album but come to find out theyre switching it up. Really cool cats though.

i dont know what they where smoking in between albums, but it was poor quality lol, confused is a great choice of word, i mean, wtf its like someone messin around with thier pc, and whatever concept they were aiming for ? ? ? i aint got a clue
pipehitterz
pipehitterz

Back to top Go down

Post  turntablist Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:00 pm

I sense an old school vs new school hip-hop debate coming up Wink

As for Yoda's 30's edition I haven't listened to it, but his Country and Western mix was amusing.

T
turntablist
turntablist

Back to top Go down

Post  pipehitterz Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:36 pm

turntablist wrote:I sense an old school vs new school hip-hop debate coming up Wink

As for Yoda's 30's edition I haven't listened to it, but his Country and Western mix was amusing.

T

easy debate, new skool=shit Very Happy

yoda got boring after the greenpeace album, yawn. heard it all before waaaay back, a dude called davey g used to mix loads together circa 1986
pipehitterz
pipehitterz

Back to top Go down

Post  turntablist Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:01 pm

Which Greenpeace album? do you mean Unthugged?

I feel the same way about those Ultimate breaks and beats mixes i.e. 52 beats by Roc Raida, DJ Apollo ultimate kibbles and bits, etc etc. There's only so many ways you can cut-up the same material over.
turntablist
turntablist

Back to top Go down

Post  JRS_One Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:20 pm

pipehitterz wrote:

easy debate, new skool=shit Very Happy

Best hip hop to me came out from around 88/89 til 96.

But to write a whole generation of as "shit" would be quite narrowminded, I mean maybe we should just stop listening to anything released after 96? Its never gonna live up to anything from that time, so why even bother trying?

People like Cunninlynguists and Little Brother make some of the best hip hop music i've ever heard, f*ck what year they made it in.
JRS_One
JRS_One

Back to top Go down

Post  martymcfly Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:38 pm

You know everyone has different taste, personally I really liked the albums I have recently hilltop hoods and charlie 2na are really good!

I don't dispute that old skool hiphop was dope but for me I wanna hear the new shit. live in the now
martymcfly
martymcfly

Back to top Go down

Post  pipehitterz Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:33 pm

i never said the whole lot was shit, but 90% of it is total gash, and im not exaggerating that percentage.

the only consistancy i have found is through the jazz hip hop ranks, none of the artists get well known, general public dont want it, its backbpak student hip hop, joe public wants brapp n fiddy, or rnb bullshit rap

it is extremely hard to find anything good out nowadays, yesterday i found a group called fakehunter, its good, but when was the last time i found anything that really blew me away? its gotta be a few months or more, and imagine the amount of gash thats been released in that time.

i have access to a hell alot of hip hop, i get pre release on alot of new material, from alot of different sources, and i always give it a fast listen, so i can see it for myself, gash gash gaaaash lol.

roll on cunninlynguists strange journey part 2 i say.
pipehitterz
pipehitterz

Back to top Go down

Post  JRS_One Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:52 pm

Just heard the new Brother Ali - US

And it didn't disappoint me at all. Can't wait for that new Felt album.
JRS_One
JRS_One

Back to top Go down

Post  pipehitterz Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:36 pm

now listening to;

horrorshow - inside story - 7/10
mr j mederios-friends enemies apples apples - 6/10
rise and the avid record collector - present risen - 7/10
j live - the hear after - tomatoe juice remix album - 9/10
fakehunters - blue soul - 7/10
the good people - coming home - 7/10
sojourn - sojournalism - 7/10(grower)
justme - before the twilight - 9/10
panacea - re-route(remix album) - 8/10
pipehitterz
pipehitterz

Back to top Go down

Post  turntablist Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:13 am

An album called United by the French group Phoenix, really nice chilled out stuff.

My new found favourite is Uptown Saturday Night by Camp Lo

Especially "this is it"

Love the horns and the heavy drums, great late 90's hip-hop wouldn't you agree Mr Coils Wink
turntablist
turntablist

Back to top Go down

Post  turntablist Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:14 am

Oh and congratulations Pipez on reaching 100 posts!

cheers cheers cheers
turntablist
turntablist

Back to top Go down

Post  Pidge Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:25 pm

Flynn Adams. The chorus is a bit weak, but his car is fly so it all evens up.

Pidge
Pidge

Back to top Go down

Post  JRS_One Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:27 pm

Fashawn - Boy Meets World (Entirely produced by Exile)

This is a great album, loving it, for those who don't know Exile is an excellent producer who did an album a couple of years ago with Blu which was also great. He also had an instrumental album called Radio.

Fashawn had a mixtape (more of a prelude to the album, it was all original beats produced entirely by The Alchemist) a couple of months ago which was also great.

Also Blu just released an album with Sene - A Day Late and A Dollar Short Its dope, and Blu produced it all, he's as ill at producing as he is rhyming. This dudes a future legend.

These 2 albums will tide me over for a while.

Just got an album by Sha Stimuli, haven't listened to it yet though.
JRS_One
JRS_One

Back to top Go down

Post  johnny bluff Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:03 pm

Can i say a few words here....
I did actually right a full page spead last night on this topic...but ill break it down into what i..and people who want to keep hip hop real think...
this is not a diss to anyone...if you like albums from your likes of jay-z,2na,and speech,well i cant fault you...each to his own...but if thats the way that you think hip hops gone then your very very WRONG...
There is so much out there that is so dope..people need to dig,dig,dig.myspace,dlin,read on hip hop sites of real..i repeat..(real) hip hop and whats commin out,just like back in the days...i didnt read about crews like black rock and ron,jvc force and black by demand...i had to go out there and find it..listen to so,so many albums every sat morning in birmingham.some were awful..but some were so fresh..and its the same now...if people think that dialated,2na and crews like that are underground then your very,very wrong...its deeper than that now...they are just the more mainstream underground artists..(if that makes sense)..go more underground than those artists..

its out there...just take time and look....

Personally..2na,jay-z and speech albums are to me,f..in awful...i may as well be checkin ja fool or welly....sorry...thats my opinion from a 30 year hip hop vet...

and if peeps dont support these indie(which to me is deeper than underground)artists..we all might up end with solja boi...now do we really want that...

peace to all....

johnny bluff...

and you cant beat that with a stickball bat..(a real hip hop one).. Laughing
johnny bluff
johnny bluff

Back to top Go down

Post  freshkest Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:08 pm

i listened to black eyed peas - bridging the gap, the other day and had a tear in the eye,

I was doing the same just yesterday and "Bringing it Back" really hit me hard. It's like instead of bridging the gap, they have now crossed it and burned it down. BEP members are very knowledgable of hip hop and I am sure they are aware of what they have done. They could have done hip hop a great service by educating the large following they now have on what hip hop is and what it isn't. But instead, they have chosen to remain silent and submit to the demands of pop culture.

So, this has led me to think about what hip hop is. As I am currently listening to UD's "Smack" I wonder about what the standards for something to be hip hop are. I'm 34 years old and have been listening to hip hop for as long as I can remember and was very active in the graffitti scene during the late 80's and early 90's. There are a lot very popular "artists" out there that I don't consider to be Hip Hop, including Jay-Z. As for the BEP, I consider their current music to be some sort of dance-club music,... but is it still hip hop just because it's been done by them. I know most of you would not consider someone like Soulja Boy to be hip hop like myself, but where do you draw the line? What are your standards for something to qualify as hip hop?
freshkest
freshkest

Back to top Go down

Post  JRS_One Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:28 pm

johnny bluff wrote:Can i say a few words here....
I did actually right a full page spead last night on this topic...but ill break it down into what i..and people who want to keep hip hop real think...
this is not a diss to anyone...if you like albums from your likes of jay-z,2na,and speech,well i cant fault you...each to his own...but if thats the way that you think hip hops gone then your very very WRONG...
There is so much out there that is so dope..people need to dig,dig,dig.myspace,dlin,read on hip hop sites of real..i repeat..(real) hip hop and whats commin out,just like back in the days...i didnt read about crews like black rock and ron,jvc force and black by demand...i had to go out there and find it..listen to so,so many albums every sat morning in birmingham.some were awful..but some were so fresh..and its the same now...if people think that dialated,2na and crews like that are underground then your very,very wrong...its deeper than that now...they are just the more mainstream underground artists..(if that makes sense)..go more underground than those artists..

its out there...just take time and look....

Personally..2na,jay-z and speech albums are to me,f..in awful...i may as well be checkin ja fool or welly....sorry...thats my opinion from a 30 year hip hop vet...

and if peeps dont support these indie(which to me is deeper than underground)artists..we all might up end with solja boi...now do we really want that...

peace to all....

johnny bluff...

and you cant beat that with a stickball bat..(a real hip hop one).. Laughing

Errrghh, I'm sorry but I hate this type of view as much as I hate people who restrict themselves listening to only commercial artists do. The type of people who will turn their back on a band or artist the minute they have a bit of success.

If you listen to say an album like the Slaughterhouse one and tell me thats not "real" hip hop, I don't know what to tell you. Dilated Peoples haven't really developed themselves as a band but they haven't tried to change up their style (maybe apart from that kanye single) to gain commercial appeal since they've came out, how do you now think that their not "hip hop" enough is beyond me.

People could say a lot of the stuff people listen to on here isn't "real" hip hop its more Jazz or Funk. I could give a f*ck what people want to class it, as long as its good it will get listened to. As I said that Fashawn album is great, I don't care if he's not underground enough because he works with people like The Alchemist, its still great. The only problem I have with people is when they change their whole style to adapt to what the masses want to try and make money, and even then maybe thats the direction they've always wanted to go. I do hate when someone jumps on obvious trends (the producer of the moment, r'n'b artist of the moment, something like autotune).

So if they have a couple of thousand fans more than the super-underground myspace artist that doesn't bother me. I'll stick to listening to my La Coka Nostra, Slaughterhouse, Little Brother, Blu, Brother Ali, etc. I call a spade a spade, if its shite its shite. Even some shite albums have a few good tracks of them, this is the joy of owning an ipod, just keep the 2-3 good songs.

Like Pipez said about PUTS, He thinks some people just listen to them cause its "cool and underground" (sorry for paraphrasing, thats what I took from it), and I completely agree with that, I do happen to like PUTS, not my fav group ever, but they make enjoyable music. But I feel some people are too "cool" and "different" to even listen to anything that even has any type of following. They always need to listen to something more underground that the next person.

I'll give anything a go (to an extent) if its recommended on good enough terms. After one listen I can tell I don't ever want to hear another Gucci Man song, Solja boy song, etc. Someone like Jay Z i'll give their album a listen as theres usually a couple of good tracks on there (even though I actually despise him as a person and think his music is about nothing), then i'll also keep an eye out for any artists that people on here try to put me on.

Rambled on for a bit, but I just think people need to chill with this whole "there not Real hip hop" thing.
JRS_One
JRS_One

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next