Ugly Duckling Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who are your Top 5 rap groups of all time?

+13
Geeiscool
Freezie
pipehitterz
Pidge
johnny bluff
gary barry gordon
93Pro
martymcfly
The Maestro X
jaster
JRS_One
turntablist
Admin
17 posters

Go down

Who are your Top 5 rap groups of all time? Empty Who are your Top 5 rap groups of all time?

Post  Admin Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:38 pm

along those same lines, who are your top 5 rap groups of all time? again in no particular order, here's mine...

1. Run-DMC
2. Tribe Called Quest
3. EPMD
4. Public Enemy
5. Ugly Duckling

honorable mention: De La Soul, Gangstarr, NWA, Pharcyde, BDP

Last edited by Admin on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Who are your Top 5 rap groups of all time? Empty Re: Who are your Top 5 rap groups of all time?

Post  turntablist Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:11 am

Excellent idea, in no particular order:

1) Ugly Duckling
2) People Under The Stairs
3) Public Enemy
4) Beatnuts
5) Run DMC

Jurassic 5 came in close but this is such a difficult decision to make! I could do 10 Very Happy
turntablist
turntablist

Back to top Go down

Who are your Top 5 rap groups of all time? Empty Re: Who are your Top 5 rap groups of all time?

Post  JRS_One Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:34 pm

Some good mentions already (The Classics - Tribe, EPMD, PE, NWA, Beatnuts, Brand Nubain)

Wont drag this one out as much:

Gang Starr - nearly every albums a classic to me

Wu Tang Clan - Was a real movement, some of the funniest moments in hip hop ever came from these guys, from interviews, songs, everything. Some of the greatest Characters in hip hop ever. Started the trend of putting on everyone you ever knew (maybe not a good thing, lol, but most of the wu-affiliates were quite good), first to start their own clothing line, first to make their own computer games.

The Roots - So many good albums, prove that you can make great hip hop using instruments, great live, and in my opinion they are constantly improving (I LOVED Rising Down), also Black Thought could have been an honorable mention in my Top 5 Mc's.

CunninLynguists - Another great great band, amazing beats, great rappers. Love nearly anything I hear from them.

Ugly Duckling - Great albums, great production, great rhymes, great live. They've made so much stuff i can just put on repeat and not get tired off.

So many other possibles - Little Brother (might have put them in over CL but I already Chose Phonte in my rapper list, same goes for Atmosphere), Recently I've loved Move.Meant. I love hard sh*t from the 90's like MOP and Heltah Skeltah. Could go on for days.
JRS_One
JRS_One

Back to top Go down

Post  jaster Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:24 am

Top-5....

Beastie Boys
Ugly Duckling
Jurassic 5
Binary Star
Dilated Peoples

Honorable Mention....

Run DMC
Styles of Beyond
A Tribe Called Quest
Dream Warriors
Eric B. & Rakim
Gang Starr

Several others.

jaster

Back to top Go down

Post  The Maestro X Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:39 am

Beastie Boys
Ugly Duckling
Run DMC
Hilltop Hoods
Jurassic 5

(there is not enough Beastie love here guys, whats going on?)
The Maestro X
The Maestro X

Back to top Go down

Post  martymcfly Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:31 pm

Ud
Speech Defect
J5
Hilltop Hoods
Cypress Hill
martymcfly
martymcfly

Back to top Go down

Post  JRS_One Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:25 pm

The Maestro X wrote:(there is not enough Beastie love here guys, whats going on?)

Check this thread i just made, new beastie track:

https://uglyduckling.forumotion.com/general-music-discussion-f2/new-beastie-boys-song-ft-nas-link-t82.htm#807
JRS_One
JRS_One

Back to top Go down

Post  martymcfly Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:17 pm

The Maestro X wrote:Beastie Boys

Tell ya my problem with tha beastie boys is that after one track they just sound real whiny and annoy the hell outta me, don't get me wrong they've done some great tracks. I just can't listen to more than one in a row let alone a whole lp
martymcfly
martymcfly

Back to top Go down

Post  The Maestro X Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:46 pm

Wow. I dont think Ive ever heard someone speak as negatively about the Boys as that. (not having a go, just saying).
I've always viewed them as being universely liked (even loved) by the hip hop community (pros and fans), but thats obviously just me looking at the situation through rose coloured glasses as they are my favourite group of all time.

Oh well, to each his own.
The Maestro X
The Maestro X

Back to top Go down

Post  JRS_One Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:23 am

martymcfly wrote:
The Maestro X wrote:Beastie Boys

Tell ya my problem with tha beastie boys is that after one track they just sound real whiny and annoy the hell outta me, don't get me wrong they've done some great tracks. I just can't listen to more than one in a row let alone a whole lp

honestly I gotta say i'm the same. I like the beasties, I like their music, I can see there influence, I respect the hell out of them and wouldn't deny anyone calling them legendary. But as for personal taste I couldn't listen to them constantly all day like I could other groups.

Altough I could listen to their whole album in one go, lol. But I maybe couldn't listen to a few of there albums in a row.

I actually said the same thing recently about The Ultramagnetic MC's as well.
JRS_One
JRS_One

Back to top Go down

Post  93Pro Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:06 pm

Dilated Peoples
J5
UD
Wu-Tang
Onyx
93Pro
93Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  gary barry gordon Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:34 pm

I'd have to say;

Ugly Duckling
Jurassic 5
Beastie Boys
Run DMC
Michael Franti (I know he's not really rap, but one of his albums I have has a lot of spoken word/rap style)

I'm honestly not a die hard rap fan, I'm not a metal head, I'm not a techno junkie, I'm not a pop fiend. I like what I like.

As far as rap goes, I enjoy a lot of Shady Records music, like Obie Trice and Eminem & a few others, but cannot stand $0.50. He has no talent, doesn't have a good voice and made his fame by being shot rather than good at what he does.

I love the laid back stylings of J5 & UD and others like them, but I also like a bit of "in yo face, biatch" rap, too (just not as much or as often).
gary barry gordon
gary barry gordon

Back to top Go down

Post  93Pro Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:59 pm

Gary Barry Gordon wrote:I'd have to say;

I also like a bit of "in yo face, biatch" rap, too (just not as much or as often).

Grab some Onyx Lp's
93Pro
93Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  johnny bluff Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:15 pm

top 5 rap groups.....mmmmm....Well ive checked so many over the years,but i will try to do my best...
1.ultramagnetic mcs....true legends in the hip hop world....
2.cold crush brothers.....when i was growin up,these were the only crew in hip hop....
3.main source....im lookin at the front door..... bounce
4.public enemy...changed hip hop.....thets fo sure...
5.beastie boys...saw em 3 times now...tru hip hoppers...keepin it real at the tender age of.....old....lol....
6.ugly duckling...followed em from day one...love there style..love there music...keep it real guys.... Laughing
7.a tribe called quest.....should be my no1 as i just loved this crew....
8.leader of the new skool.....my heros back in the early 90s...never made a bad tune....

i know theres 8,but i dont care....lol

peace all...

johnny bluff....

and you cant beat that with a stickball bat......
johnny bluff
johnny bluff

Back to top Go down

Post  Pidge Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:08 pm

Gary Barry Gordon wrote:Michael Franti (I know he's not really rap, but one of his albums I have has a lot of spoken word/rap style)

Chocolate Supa Highway with Spearhead is an amazing album, and that's hiphop for sure. When he was with Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy they were straight up hiphop!!

Good choice.
Pidge
Pidge

Back to top Go down

Post  pipehitterz Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:05 am

apart from the default U.D

blahzay blahzay
lone catalysts
cunninlynguists (almost the best act ive seen live)
the roots
beastie boys ( live they are wonderful)

i loved P.E/tribe and older peeps like that, but when it comes to rotation on my ipod, that list is very consistant
pipehitterz
pipehitterz

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezie Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:35 pm

I know i'm late getting on this, but thought i'd add mine.

1) Beastie Boys
2) Ugly Duckling
3) Cypress Hill
4) Public enemy
5) Jurassic 5

I could never get sick of the Beasties. They manage to keep evolving and stay fresh from album to album. All the instrumental stuff is sick.
Freezie
Freezie

Back to top Go down

Post  Geeiscool Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:12 am

Really hard so Ive seperated into two groups.
Treacherous Three
Flash & Furious
Cold Crush Brothers
Crash Crew
Fantastic Freaks
and not forgetting
Bam/Soulsonic
Feaerless Four
Disco Four
Grandmixer D.ST & Infinity Rappers
Whodini
UTFO
Fantasy Three

Then the nextschool
A Tribe Called Quest
BDP
Run Dmc
Ultra Magnetic Mc's
Brand Nubian
Not Forgetting
3rd bass
Nice & Smooth
Main Source
3D (3xDope)
EPMD
Jungle Brothers
Black Sheep
Gangstarr
Geeiscool
Geeiscool

Back to top Go down

Post  Si Green Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:46 am

For me it's gotta be -

PUTS
UD
Speech Defect
J5
Gangstarr

Like others say - a very difficult choice!

Si. Very Happy
Si Green
Si Green

Back to top Go down

Post  freshkest Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:27 pm

Aaagh! This one IS tough.
In no particular order:

1. A Tribe Called Quest
2. Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five
3. Ugly Duckling
4. Jurassic 5
5. Rhymester

...but if I wanna get a Royal Rumble going, I'd add these 5 groups:

Hieroglyphics, People Under the Stairs, Gangstarr, Nice & Smooth, & De la Soul
freshkest
freshkest

Back to top Go down

Post  Breanne Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:45 am

UD
J5
People under the stairs
Dilated Peoples
Tribe Called Quest
Breanne
Breanne

Back to top Go down

Post  leedobson Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:54 pm

3rd Bass
Ugly Duckling
Public Enemy
Wu Tang Clan
Beastie boys
leedobson
leedobson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down