Ugly Duckling Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who are your Top 5 emcees of all time?

+11
Pidge
deathofhifi
pipehitterz
93Pro
dizzy dustin
martymcfly
The Maestro X
jaster
turntablist
JRS_One
Admin
15 posters

Go down

Who are your Top 5 emcees of all time? Empty Who are your Top 5 emcees of all time?

Post  Admin Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:34 pm

what's up y'all? just thought i'd pose the age old hip hop question, who are you top 5 emcees of all-time. here's mine, not necessarily in order...

1. Rakim
2. Guru
3. GZA
4. Del
5. Method

honorable mention: Kool G Rap, Diamond D, MF Doom, Tupac, Eminem
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Who are your Top 5 emcees of all time? Empty Re: Who are your Top 5 emcees of all time?

Post  JRS_One Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:01 pm

Dunno, pretty hard to narrow it down. Plus i always have 2 different lists. My 5 favs (who i actually love to listen to) and then the top 5 who probably deserve to be there due to being the inspiration of nearly all other MC's (eg: Rakim, BDK, KGP, KRS_One, Slick Rick, Ice Cube, Masta Ace, LL Cool J, Lord Finesse, etc)

So my favs, which changes a lot might be:

Nas
2Pac
Phonte
Slug
Jehst

err so hard to chose. I mean i think Big Pun is technically one of the best rappers i've ever heard, but he's only got 1 good album, same as biggie, released one of my fav albums ever then followed it up with a terrible double album thats well overhyped. Jay Z's constantly average to me and also trend hops a lot. Eminem is kinda the same as Big Pun, you can tell he's technically very gifted, but with the terrible singles he puts out and how he's now become a parody of what he used to mock its hard to take him seriously.

As far as the underground, theres so many dope MC's that its sometimes hard to find one that stands apart from the pack (but I think Slug and Phonte do) and also underground is usually better for bands as a whole.

So, lets see why i picked them 5. Ok the first 2.

Both got great discogs and make hip hop thats both accessible and poetic, people hate 2pac, mainly for his attitude and his ignorant songs. But he made so much more music than that, he's got some great soulful and heartfelt music. It just gets swept under the "Hit-em-up" 2pac. Plus he got me into hip hop (along with Ice Cube, who could easily be in my top 5 for the same reasons). Nas is pretty much just above 2pac for me due to his longevity and he is still putting out good albums. Untitled was a pretty good album and one of his most political (plus he released illmatic, probably the greatest hip hop album ever).

Phonte and Slug stand out in the underground scene to me mainly because they make the music i can identify the most with. Women problems, money problems, loving hip hop but seeing it be overrun with wackness, and so much more. Also they are both quite witty and comedic and have great production behind them and great albums as a whole.

Jehst to me just has an astonishing way with words, and creates pictures. Also a great producer. Falling Down is a personal classic to me. Although he did kind of go downwards abit after that. I still hold out hope for a great comeback though.

So yeah, went into a bit too much detail, lol. But I always find these hard to do. Gonna try and do the band one now, which might be even harder!!
JRS_One
JRS_One

Back to top Go down

Who are your Top 5 emcees of all time? Empty Re: Who are your Top 5 emcees of all time?

Post  turntablist Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:49 am

Once again in no order:

Charli 2na
Rakim
LL Cool J (before he turned fruity)
Abdominal
DMC
turntablist
turntablist

Back to top Go down

Post  jaster Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:16 am

Five favorites? FIVE!? Impossible! Alright, I'll try, but there will be some honorable mentions!

Other than Andy and Dizz, my personal favorites right now are....

Adrock (I should also have Mike D and MCA, but I'll limit to one emcee per group, heh)
One Be Lo
Chali 2na
Evidence
Q-Tip

Honorable Mention....

Rakim
Guru
DMC
King Lou
Biz Markie
KRS-One

Smaller Honorable Mention....

Sir Mix-A-Lot
Zack de la Rocha
MC Chris
Eminem

jaster

Back to top Go down

Post  turntablist Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:22 am

jaster wrote:
Sir Mix-A-Lot

Whaaaaa???? Wink
turntablist
turntablist

Back to top Go down

Post  jaster Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:01 am

turntablist wrote:
jaster wrote:
Sir Mix-A-Lot

Whaaaaa???? Wink
Haha, I thought that might get some attention. Yeah, and I can do without Baby Got Back. I mean, it's a classic and it's a great party song, especially when you're gettin' ripped. But, anyway, that album, Mack Daddy, is just tight, solid all the way through. It's like a silly, tough-guy theme that you don't take seriously, but get into anyway. Love it. Can't get enough, haha. There's a few high points among his other albums too, but Mack Daddy is consistent. One Time's Got No Case, Lockjaw, Testarossa, The Jack Back, lots of good tracks.

Now, talent-wise, Mix isn't ranked too high as an emcee, obviously, and it seems like he's selling out with these BK ads, but I'll always have a soft spot for him because of that album Very Happy

jaster

Back to top Go down

Post  The Maestro X Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:43 am

ADROCK
Abdominal
Pressure
Nas
Chuck D

Dizzy and Andy of course...but they're a given, right?
The Maestro X
The Maestro X

Back to top Go down

Post  martymcfly Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:29 pm

Pressure now there's a good shout!

mine well

Abs
nabo rawk (ptu)
Charlie 2na
Ice T
Will Smith (ok don't take the piss)
martymcfly
martymcfly

Back to top Go down

Post  turntablist Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:30 pm

martymcfly wrote:Pressure now there's a good shout!

Ice T

Good call on Ice T - reckless is probably my favourite song by him, or 6 in the morning. I remember Bluff and Pipez identifying the reckless track for me.

As for Will Smith, I think he's a good rapper, I love his live Fresh '86 performance in London he was really good. His 90's stuff was definitely catchy and I have to admit I do have them on my laptop! Laughing

I forgot to mention T La Rock, what an awesome rapper!
turntablist
turntablist

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzy dustin Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:56 pm

1. Chubb Rock (a lot of people r just takin notice of this legend)
2. Rakim
3. Slick Rick
4. Plug 1 and 2
5. Kool G Rap

might change monthly??????
dizzy dustin
dizzy dustin

Back to top Go down

Post  93Pro Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:05 pm

In no particular order i would say...

Nas
Biggie
KRS
Evidence
Rakim
93Pro
93Pro

Back to top Go down

Post  pipehitterz Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:59 am

theres always the classics in everyones line ups like

nas
chubb
rakim
krs one(never really took to him, probabaly its all the politics)
q tip
etc

but i love alot of newer(ish) rappers likes

u.d obviously
jlive
jsands
onebelo
black thought(unreal live)
asheru
lushlife

i also loved , although never really hung around the scene

spectac

but i just love

masta ace
ghost face killah(by far the best wu member imo)
and all 3 beasties, mike d being me favourite of the 3 cuz he kills it live
motion man

pick 5 of them cuz i cant lol
pipehitterz
pipehitterz

Back to top Go down

Post  deathofhifi Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:53 pm

Tough one to narrow it down to 5

Rakim
Big Daddy Kane
KRS One
Kool G Rap
Kool Keith
deathofhifi
deathofhifi

Back to top Go down

Post  Pidge Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:18 pm

I'd give you a different list on any given day. Right now, off the top of my head:

Lyrics Born
Pigeon John
MF DOOM
Del
Guru
Pidge
Pidge

Back to top Go down

Post  deathofhifi Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:23 pm

Shit how did I forget QTip?
deathofhifi
deathofhifi

Back to top Go down

Post  Geeiscool Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:42 am

So many dope emcees worthy but heres 5 of my favourite.
Melle Mel
Spoonie G
Rakim
Big Daddy Kane
CL Smooth

Gotta do some honourary mentions also.
Kool G Rap
Lord Finnesse
Reggie Reg
Kool Moe Dee
Cowboy
Slick Rick
Tragedy
Grand Puba
Large Professor
Mad Skillz
Diamond D
Kool Keith
Greg Nice
Talib Kweli
Steady B
Grandmaster Caz
sheesh, to many to mention.
Geeiscool
Geeiscool

Back to top Go down

Post  WOTM_BREAKS Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:33 pm

Here is mine:

Mos Def
Rakim
Abdominal
Biggie
KRS one
WOTM_BREAKS
WOTM_BREAKS

Back to top Go down

Post  freshkest Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:11 pm

Starting Lineup in no particular order:

1. Q-tip
2. Slick Rick
3. Rakim
4. Lauryn Hill
5. Guru

My sixth man, Raashan Ahmad

Coming off the bench:

Melle Mel, Chali 2na, & Del
freshkest
freshkest

Back to top Go down

Post  Coagulated Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:45 am

turntablist wrote:
martymcfly wrote:Pressure now there's a good shout!

Ice T

Good call on Ice T - reckless is probably my favourite song by him, or 6 in the morning. I remember Bluff and Pipez identifying the reckless track for me.

As for Will Smith, I think he's a good rapper, I love his live Fresh '86 performance in London he was really good. His 90's stuff was definitely catchy and I have to admit I do have them on my laptop! Laughing

I forgot to mention T La Rock, what an awesome rapper!

Will Smith is an awesome rapper, I have a lot of respect for his delivery and lyrics. His last album 'Lost & Found' had some cracking tracks on it.

My top 5 would be:

2Pac
Slug
Immortal Technique
Q-Tip
Tech N9ne

But I do have a lot of time for:

Ice Cube
Easy E
Ghostface Killah
Freeway
RZA
Talib Kweli
MC Chris
B-Real

Coagulated

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down