Ugly Duckling Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cut Chemist & De La Soul with a 13 piece band! What a night!!

+2
turntablist
gary barry gordon
6 posters

Go down

Cut Chemist & De La Soul with a 13 piece band! What a night!! Empty Cut Chemist & De La Soul with a 13 piece band! What a night!!

Post  gary barry gordon Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:53 pm

I'm so chuffed about last night, but you guys are the only folks I know who would truly appreciate this story! If I told my friends, they'd smile politely and say, "That's nice. And what sort of music is Daily Soul and Kart Chemist?"

A mate of mine works for Nova Radio here in Olde Melbourne Towne and he set his Facebook status to "Paul has a question about De La Soul, who can help me?" Naturally, I've answered, by way of a comment on his status. 5 minutes later, he sends me a message telling me he has no question, but has 2 free tickets to see them in a few hours time.

Anyway, we found out the support act didn't start until 11:15pm, De La Soul weren't billed to start until 12:45am, so I was thnking, "Not on a school night! Golly, I'll be ever so tired in the morning!" Then I found out the support was Cut Chemist! I was there!!

Cut Chemist was awesome; he was by far the highlight for me. He had a great VJ and debuted his new track, which was not too shabby at all, except that he rapped in this track and he never raps live, and it shows, but it really didn't take away from awesome skills with the turntables.

De La Soul were supposed to be on at 12:45, but didn't show until 1:30~ish. It was so well worth the wait though!!

I've seen/heard a few live rap/hip-hop acts which, in general, are a bit of a let down on the rapping side of things. They get the music right, but usually sound like they're giving the mic a bj. Not these fellas! They delivered in style and sounded great!

Unfortunately I'm not all up on De La Soul's music. I know them when I hear them, but I don't have any of their stuff. That didn't make any difference at all, coz it was all about the music and the music was shiite-hot!

Anyway, I'm still buzzing! It was an honour to see Cut Chemist & De La Soul doing what they do and doing it well!

Cheers & beers,
Henry.
gary barry gordon
gary barry gordon

Back to top Go down

Cut Chemist & De La Soul with a 13 piece band! What a night!! Empty Re: Cut Chemist & De La Soul with a 13 piece band! What a night!!

Post  turntablist Fri May 01, 2009 10:44 am

That is awesome, I'd love to see them both live and for free!!! Shocked

That sounds like an excellent night Henry, and yes I appreciated hearing that Razz
turntablist
turntablist

Back to top Go down

Cut Chemist & De La Soul with a 13 piece band! What a night!! Empty Re: Cut Chemist & De La Soul with a 13 piece band! What a night!!

Post  pipehitterz Fri May 01, 2009 12:08 pm

turntablist wrote:That is awesome, I'd love to see them both live and for free!!! Shocked

That sounds like an excellent night Henry, and yes I appreciated hearing that Razz

did the jazz cafe gig for free with u.d, and met and talked to de la, unfortunately theyre all very far up their own arses to actually be cool, plus they aint done a half decent album since 1996.

cut chemist is phat tho, saw j5 in 2003, cut n newmark did a 10 minute freestyle set midway involvind 2 ficsher price toys, a drum kit, a hand held deck and mixing desk, and a over the shoulder drum machine, twas a bizarre sight lol.
pipehitterz
pipehitterz

Back to top Go down

Post  JRS_One Fri May 01, 2009 1:45 pm

Dont know if i'd agree with the first part pipez (not the part about being stuck up, haven't meet them, wouldn't know).

But i think they are one of the old school groups who have done an excellent job of still releasing dope music. I thought The Grind Date was a really good album. Updated their sound to stay modern but not in any sell-out type way.

Not like Gurus latest album which I heard last night. He has 2 songs using Auto-tune Razz trying to sound like lil wayne or something.
JRS_One
JRS_One

Back to top Go down

Post  Pidge Fri May 01, 2009 4:01 pm

JRS_One wrote:Not like Gurus latest album which I heard last night. He has 2 songs using Auto-tune Razz trying to sound like lil wayne or something.

Damnit.
Pidge
Pidge

Back to top Go down

Post  pipehitterz Fri May 01, 2009 5:45 pm

JRS_One wrote:
But i think they are one of the old school groups who have done an excellent job of still releasing dope music. I thought The Grind Date was a really good album. Updated their sound to stay modern but not in any sell-out type way.

dude, each to their own, butthe last album i liked off them was 'stakes is high' wasnt feelin the grind date one little bit
pipehitterz
pipehitterz

Back to top Go down

Post  JRS_One Fri May 01, 2009 6:15 pm

Fair enough, i'd say to anyone who hasn't given it a listen to definitely give it a try. Some of the best producers out at the time produced songs on that album. J Dilla, Madlib, 9th Wonder, Jake One.

EDIT: Also just checked and most of the best beats were produced by a guy called Supa Dave West. Need to hear more from this guy.

Last edited by JRS_One on Fri May 01, 2009 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
JRS_One
JRS_One

Back to top Go down

Post  pipehitterz Fri May 01, 2009 6:23 pm

JRS_One wrote:Fair enough, i'd say to anyone who hasn't given it a listen to definitely give it a try. Some of the best producers out at the time produced songs on that album. J Dilla, Madlib, 9th Wonder, Jake One.

i think thats the problem, i dont like these producers, 8th womder has only interested me with murs, and spectac, but thats about it
pipehitterz
pipehitterz

Back to top Go down

Post  JRS_One Fri May 01, 2009 6:29 pm

I gotta say I love me some Dilla (especially his stuff with Pharcyde), love Madlibs style (Loved him since I heard Lootpacks first album) and I absolutely love anything that comes from Little Brother (Even after 9th left, because the producers they use pretty much ran with his style.)
JRS_One
JRS_One

Back to top Go down

Post  pipehitterz Sat May 02, 2009 3:12 am

JRS_One wrote:I gotta say I love me some Dilla (especially his stuff with Pharcyde), love Madlibs style (Loved him since I heard Lootpacks first album) and I absolutely love anything that comes from Little Brother (Even after 9th left, because the producers they use pretty much ran with his style.)

dilla dropped a few gems its true, the roots stuff was solid, but i think im just a hip hop snob lol, when these producers really make it, and produce loads and loads of music for the masses, it stops being 'real' hip hop, and crosses over to timberland town, leaving us with a atyle of hip hop, their style of hip hop which becomes their favourite type of hip hop.

i know what im tryin to say, to explain better is the problem, its like a film maker that writes and directs his own films, they'll have success with a certain style, but it'll never get better, they'll only write the same or worse, think guy richie films or that m knight shalalalabam or whatever his name is?

i love the kind of hip hop thats a one off style, the atrist may only make one great album, then you move on to another artists great album, U.D being the ionly hip hop group ive stuck with, cuz they have that same mentallity, i dont like every track theyve done, but i love the others, and every album has been slytly different, taking me full circle to the artists like pharcyde/de la, one or 2 great albums, but the rest of their music they tried to reproduce their sound without stepping away from their comfort zone, and ending up mediocre.

hi my name is mr pipe, ive been a hip hop fan since 1980, its been 6 weeks since i listened to kanye, i crave new sounds, and i am a snob, thanx for sharing lol
pipehitterz
pipehitterz

Back to top Go down

Post  johnny bluff Sat May 02, 2009 5:02 am

Nice touch brother pipez...
I dont think we would call ourselves hip hop snobs,just people who are trying to listen to music that we class as hip hop...i know its changing,and peeps are sayin,well,you gotta change..but my view on the whole hip hop matter is that hip hop is about the rawness,the elements,the general feeling that we have always had.....
There is still stuff out there,but now-a-days,you gotta go find it...just like the ol days of gettin that 1 12 inch or album that might only ever sell 500 copies,but its dope......and to me its hip hop....thats my view....im hip hop and allways will be...

my name is johnny bluff...im old..hehe,i love hip hop and i class myself as a true hip hop addict....peace.....

J.B

And you cant beat that with a stickball bat....
johnny bluff
johnny bluff

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down