Ugly Duckling Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Am I the only person who still buys CD's...?

+5
martymcfly
obie
JRS_One
turntablist
gary barry gordon
9 posters

Go down

Am I the only person who still buys CD's...? Empty Am I the only person who still buys CD's...?

Post  gary barry gordon Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:49 pm

Seriously. Am I?

All my friends download their music, be it bought from iTunes or the naughty kind (mostly the latter). By the sound of it, a lot of peeps here do the naughty thing, too.

[RANT]
I have about 180GB of music on my computer machine, about 1GB of which is downloaded.

There are quite a few reasons I hate downloading;

1) When I go into a record store, I never know what I'm going to buy, so downloading takes away the joy of flipping through the CD's
2) I hate being dictated to as to how the conversion should be (bit rates etc)
3) Half of the people who do these conversions seem to be only semi-literate and can't do the ID3 tags properly
4) There's nothing like physically holding a CD/album in your hands, knowing that it's actually YOURS, nobody else's
5) I find out a lot about music from the cover info (producers, guest artists etc) and have actually discovered new music from it
6) The generic, keeping the money going to the artists
[/RANT]

That said, I also know there's a lot of stuff out there that will never be released on CD for whatever reason, but I just can't bloody find it!!

Anyway. How's about youse?

Cheers & beers,

Henry
gary barry gordon
gary barry gordon

Back to top Go down

Am I the only person who still buys CD's...? Empty Re: Am I the only person who still buys CD's...?

Post  turntablist Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:12 pm

Gary Barry Gordon wrote:
1) When I go into a record store, I never know what I'm going to buy, so downloading takes away the joy of flipping through the CD's
2) I hate being dictated to as to how the conversion should be (bit rates etc)
3) Half of the people who do these conversions seem to be only semi-literate and can't do the ID3 tags properly
4) There's nothing like physically holding a CD/album in your hands, knowing that it's actually YOURS, nobody else's
5) I find out a lot about music from the cover info (producers, guest artists etc) and have actually discovered new music from it
6) The generic, keeping the money going to the artists
[/RANT]

I usually only download an album providing I already own it on vinyl, it's too much off a pain in the arse to convert it from lp so downloading it makes sense. However if it's a private press and there's only a couple of copies at a rediculous price then that isn't as bad (no good nonetheless in the eyes of the law)

I agree about the sleeve notes I love reading the background details, but I hardly buy cd's now I love the feel of digging through a crate and picking up the vinyl. The only cd's I now buy are UD albums / singles etc just because I want to complete the discography.
turntablist
turntablist

Back to top Go down

Am I the only person who still buys CD's...? Empty Re: Am I the only person who still buys CD's...?

Post  JRS_One Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:18 pm

Im all for downloading to be honest. I own hundreds of CD's and have been caught out many times by buying on word of mouth, features on other albums, even the album covers.

Altough I have made some great random buys. But nowadays I just don't have the money. Id miss out on so much good music. I am planning on buying alot of the albums I've downloaded and loved though. And I would go to any concerts that are near me to support the artist (pity a lot of them don't bother coming to northern ireland).

But overall I've discovered so many good bands through downloading that I wouldn't have otherwise even knew about. So the way I see it, it only helps the band.

*scenario A*

Im skint, I hear some good things about atmosphere, but never checked them out cause I can't afford to buy a CD. They never gain me as a fan. no one wins.

*scenario B*

Im skint, I hear some good things about atmosphere, checked them out by downloading their albums, becomes a big fan of theres, who would easily go see them live if i ever get a chance and also would love to buy some merch/t-shirts. Also when I get some more disposable income I would really like to get round to buying their albums. we both win, as i can listen to some great music, they win because I will eventually get round to supporting them, and i've also put other people onto them through word of mouth.

Anyway there are some bands that I think deserve my full support (UD being one) and I can gladly say i own all there albums (even the greatest hits and meatshake dvd imported from japan).
JRS_One
JRS_One

Back to top Go down

Post  obie Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:58 pm

I'd have to agree with JRS. I often download music on a whim, and if I like it, I'll often go out and buy their album/s. Atmosphere is a prime example, and UD for that matter. I own all their albums now, and it's all thanks to the internets.

On the point of losing the spontaneity of buying things on a whim you get in a record shop, I still get that online. I'd normally look up artist info if I like something, which often leads me in about five different directions, often with excellent results.

So +1 for downloading, but if I like it then I'll generally go and buy up whatever I can get my hands on.
obie
obie

Back to top Go down

Post  turntablist Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:08 pm

JRS_One wrote:(and meatshake dvd imported from japan).

Very very very envious!!!
turntablist
turntablist

Back to top Go down

Post  martymcfly Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:33 pm

turntablist wrote:

Might be selling mine soon if your interested?
martymcfly
martymcfly

Back to top Go down

Post  turntablist Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:55 pm

martymcfly wrote:
turntablist wrote:

Might be selling mine soon if your interested?

Definitely!
turntablist
turntablist

Back to top Go down

Post  L-Train Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:41 pm

I buy a ridiculous amount of CDs still. My reasons are mainly the same:
1) I like having something tangible that I can hold onto and look at. I also feel like I'm getting the whole experience from the artist. Not just their music, but some artwork that they felt went along with it. Also is nice for some artists that are hard to understand to have their lyrics in there (this is key for 2 of my favorites Kings of Leon & Rancid)
2) I don't like buying from iTunes with all the restrictions they put on their songs. I'd rather upload from a CD and I can do with it what I want. (if I do download, to get a remix or single or import b-side etc, I try to find it on Amazon or elsewhere)
3) I love looking at the linear notes. And it's one of those things where if I see my favorite artists giving enough shouts to the same artists, I'm likely to check them out and find something else I like.
4) Going to a record store and finding something else while you're there is fun. Went to Amoeba in San Fran once and was blown away. Wish we had big places like that out our way.

I do tend to look on Amazon or other outlets for used CDs. For my favorite artists I usually preorder when the offer it, or scoop it up new around the time it's released. But i have gotten into a lot of groups retroactively, and it's nice to spend only 5 bucks for a a used disc on someone like Lords of the Underground that came out over 10-15 years ago because I heard a song I liked recently, but then only ended up liking about 4-5 other songs on the album. If I would have have paid new prices, I probably wouldn't have taken the chance on them.

But yeah, long story short, I am running out of space in my room, but I still keep buying them!

L-Train

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzy dustin Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:53 pm

thought i was the only one left buying cds?
dizzy dustin
dizzy dustin

Back to top Go down

Post  turntablist Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:28 pm

I wonder when they're going to cut off cd's as being a viable format. Vinyl seems to have it's rejuvenation due to the dj's and I can see that outliving cd's for sure.

T
turntablist
turntablist

Back to top Go down

Post  L-Train Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:47 pm

yeah. plus you got all those "audiophiles" who swear that vinyl is the only way to get good sound (aside from super large lossless digital files). I think they alone are keeping it alive. The only vinyl I have is the reissue of Paul's Boutique that came with a package deal from Beastie's website earlier this year. Still haven't cracked it open.

I think there will always be people (like myself) that like having a tangible product that they can hold in their hand. Perhaps it will just be harder to find CDs or Records. A friend of mine was telling me how much cheaper CDs are to make than vinyl, so I'm not sure how that will factor into it...

L-Train

Back to top Go down

Post  pipehitterz Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:40 am

the only vinyl i have anymore is my audacity part 3 7" i was kindly given Very Happy
pipehitterz
pipehitterz

Back to top Go down

Post  turntablist Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:45 am

In total I probably have only about 10-15 cd's, most of them UD albums/singles etc, but anything else when I buy it, I just rip it onto the computer and give it to my brother as he has quite a collection. On the other hand I have quite a bit of vinyl not because of the sound or anything but most of the stuff I'm after hasn't been released on any other format.

T
turntablist
turntablist

Back to top Go down

Post  Pidge Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:22 am

I still buy stacks of CDs. I got no vinyl: it all got stolen.
Pidge
Pidge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down