Ugly Duckling Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vinyl - How many of you are still into it?

+5
Si Green
Geeiscool
Pidge
turntablist
Dragone
9 posters

Go down

Vinyl - How many of you are still into it? Empty Vinyl - How many of you are still into it?

Post  Dragone Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:01 pm

Since I myself do run a vinyl-recordstore in Cologne, germany, I'm occupied with certain views pro or contra vinyl-records almost everyday.
So it's an interesting issue for me to hear what people into a great underground hip hop-act like Ugly Duckling prefer; are you guys using Final Scratch or still vinyl and MKII's, is it acceptable for you to have an iPod and vinyl-records, is an UD-listener actually buying CD's, etc. pp.?
Let me know yer opinions.

Dragone

Back to top Go down

Vinyl - How many of you are still into it? Empty Re: Vinyl - How many of you are still into it?

Post  turntablist Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:13 pm

You own your own record store? that's cool Dragone, what sort of stuff do you sell? any sort of second hand stuff?

As for UD gear when it comes to buying their stuff, I'll always go for vinyl first because I like adding to my collection, then I'll get hold of the CD's later so I can put it on the iPod.

I see CD's on the way out as most people prefer mp3's.

T
turntablist
turntablist

Back to top Go down

Vinyl - How many of you are still into it? Empty Re: Vinyl - How many of you are still into it?

Post  Dragone Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:59 pm

So you go for the analog format first and then also buy the CD... if it's because of having the songs on your iPod you wouldn't just put on the record and record wav/mp3 or buy the mp3 directly as a download? You do that to strengthen the artists by buying a good album twice?

My store (Drake Records, see myspace.com/drakords) carries all styles from groove to guitar and everything inbetween - be it Doom Metal, Deep Funk, Wave, 80s Boogie, Psychedelic Rock, Hip Hip or whatever you can think of. It's mostly 2nd hand vinyl but also some new releases.

Dragone

Back to top Go down

Post  Pidge Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:49 am

I used to buy everything on vinyl. Then I had a van stolen while moving house, which had my entire vinyl collection in (over £1,000 disks) and my decks. As I haven't had the budget to replace the decks, I no longer buy vinyl.

I don't buy MP3s either. I will eventually some around to it I expect, but for now I'm still a sucker for tangibility.

I guess that makes me a CD-only geezer for now.
Pidge
Pidge

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragone Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:13 am

Oh, boy - what a sad story. The whole van with all records stolen. My condolence.

Dragone

Back to top Go down

Post  Geeiscool Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:45 pm

I still buy vinyl occassionally (It has to be pre 1988) Ive been collecting Hip Hop vinyl since 1984 so have a considerable collection, I just don't have the room to keep adding too much so I usually buy cd releases nowadays but I still prefer the raw sound of wax.
Geeiscool
Geeiscool

Back to top Go down

Post  Si Green Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:51 pm

Have sold a load of my vinyl Crying or Very sad

Still it paid for a top holiday in the French Alps earlier this year Very Happy

I simply don't DJ as much as I used to once my daughter was born - the vinyl was taking up too much space. Bought a USB turntable so I still got my copy & then sold the vinyl to the highest bidder.

Still got loads to sell though - I'm sure my good lady will give me a gentle reminder to get rid of some more soon!

Si. Very Happy
Si Green
Si Green

Back to top Go down

Post  deathofhifi Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:41 pm

I love my vinyl collection (10,000 strong) and add to it when I can which isn't so easy since my Daughter came along. I esp love digging in charity shops for breaks and random stuff to chop.

BUT........I have been suckered in to Serato for when I DJ out as I can't be arsed to carry a huge crate of records around with me any more.
deathofhifi
deathofhifi

Back to top Go down

Post  turntablist Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:08 am

Dragone wrote:So you go for the analog format first and then also buy the CD... if it's because of having the songs on your iPod you wouldn't just put on the record and record wav/mp3 or buy the mp3 directly as a download? You do that to strengthen the artists by buying a good album twice?

My store (Drake Records, see myspace.com/drakords) carries all styles from groove to guitar and everything inbetween - be it Doom Metal, Deep Funk, Wave, 80s Boogie, Psychedelic Rock, Hip Hip or whatever you can think of. It's mostly 2nd hand vinyl but also some new releases.

Well that's in the case of UD, mainly because I'm a completionist. Other groups I'll blog the album and if I like it then I'll buy the vinyl usually I stick away from CD's for the exception of UD. I think I've now got 4 copies of Journey to Anywhere (different releases from around the place) Rolling Eyes

From having a look around I saw this:

http://www.myspaceprofiles.org/profiles/380904535.html

The place sounds great!

T
turntablist
turntablist

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezie Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:14 am

I only ever buy vinyl. Mainly because i DJ only vinyl, and although it's weightier, more cumbersome, and more difficult to come by, i prefer it to CD. I started to copy my records to MP3, but it's so time consuming i gave up. For me at least, it takes more skill to DJ with vinyl, and i just find it more fun. But that's another debate...
Freezie
Freezie

Back to top Go down

Vinyl - How many of you are still into it? Empty An opinion on Vinyl <-> mp3 by a certain DJ

Post  Dragone Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:03 pm

Theo Parrish said a few things about modern deejaying in this interview and I totally agree with him on almost anything:
http://www.rottenplanet.net/blog/?p=685

Dragone

Back to top Go down

Post  mistermil Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:22 am

I used to DJ so I still try and get as much of the music I buy on vinyl, but if it isn't available I'll settle for a CD. I just prefer vinyl as a format and I know that if I ever do decide to sell them (not that I have ever sold any music I have bought) its a good investment. Hell, I've must have a couple of hundred cassettes kicking about in the house, and I still break out the Sony Walkman every now and again.
mistermil
mistermil

Back to top Go down

Vinyl - How many of you are still into it? Empty Tapes

Post  Dragone Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:53 pm

Now that you speak of tapes. I got around a thousand of them. Since they used to be the first thing to record from vinyl before the CD and mp3 were comin' up.

Also I used to run a mixtape-label called 'Phoney Tapes' (www.phoneytapes.com).

One thing that was awesome about cassettes was that you were able to actually reach a level of tape saturation - something that's not possible with digital recordings (eventhough there's many software simulations).

Dragone

Back to top Go down

Post  mistermil Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:04 pm

Dragone wrote:Now that you speak of tapes. I got around a thousand of them. Since they used to be the first thing to record from vinyl before the CD and mp3 were comin' up.

Also I used to run a mixtape-label called 'Phoney Tapes' (www.phoneytapes.com).

One thing that was awesome about cassettes was that you were able to actually reach a level of tape saturation - something that's not possible with digital recordings (eventhough there's many software simulations).

tapes were the first thing I bought really. The thing I think you listened to an album on tape from start to finish. Fast forwarding and rewinding to find a particular song was a pain in the arse so you listened to the whole album. And you would read the liners while you were doing it. I remember using a biro to rewind and forward tapes to save battery life on my walkman Smile
mistermil
mistermil

Back to top Go down

Vinyl - How many of you are still into it? Empty Worlds largest record collection

Post  Freezie Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:10 pm

This might have been put on here somewhere else on the forum, so sorry if it has.

http://vimeo.com/1546186
Freezie
Freezie

Back to top Go down

Post  gary barry gordon Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:55 am

That's awesome and devastating to see. 2.5m+ records?! And for $3m!! Surely DJ Shadow has that sort of money now, especially from the DJ Hero winfall! Who wants to go halves?

Freezie wrote:This might have been put on here somewhere else on the forum, so sorry if it has.

gary barry gordon
gary barry gordon

Back to top Go down

Post  turntablist Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:46 am

Freezie wrote:This might have been put on here somewhere else on the forum, so sorry if it has.

Nah it's not on the forum but I remember the bloke tried selling it on ebay but to no avail. The main problem is storing those records as you'll need a properly conditioned hanger, which is a major pain in the arse.

General opinion was that most of the records were crappy billboard top hits, but there are a few rares in there, but not enough to warrant that sort of dough Smile
turntablist
turntablist

Back to top Go down

Vinyl - How many of you are still into it? Empty Vinyl Sale

Post  mistermil Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:54 am

I picked up a couple of decent albums in this sale, might be of some use to the vinyl buyers here.

Juno Vinyl Sale
mistermil
mistermil

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezie Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:54 am

Here's my Beastie Boys vinyl collection. Always adding to it, so it's nowhere near complete, but a good start. I have a lot more funk and other hip hop, but that would never fit in one picture.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30903172&l=58a16aa9eb&id=1197220163
Freezie
Freezie

Back to top Go down

Post  mistermil Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:01 am

Freezie wrote:Here's my Beastie Boys vinyl collection. Always adding to it, so it's nowhere near complete, but a good start. I have a lot more funk and other hip hop, but that would never fit in one picture.

Thats an impressive collection, more than a good start I would say!
mistermil
mistermil

Back to top Go down

Post  turntablist Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:23 pm

Freezie wrote:Here's my Beastie Boys vinyl collection. Always adding to it, so it's nowhere near complete, but a good start. I have a lot more funk and other hip hop, but that would never fit in one picture.

That is incredible! that must have taken some time and moolah to get there. I'm surprised you haven't got the sounds of science collectors edition (vinyl) Smile
turntablist
turntablist

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezie Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:28 pm

It's on my list! A bit pricey though. Yet to get some of the remastered ones too, but there are rarer ones i need first. Oh dear, i just said i NEED them. I think this is turning into a proper illness.
Freezie
Freezie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down