Cookin up the splendid!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cookin up the splendid!

Post  BiG Al on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:00 am

Hi...
Had a real food fuelled weekend..........we cooked up a load of Caribbean food and grazed for the entire weekend.
What food ticks all your boxes and show me some of yer fave recipes!

Here is the best recipe ever for chicken wings!!

BiG aL's Buffalo Wings
Ingredients:
24 Chicken wings
1/2 cup Melted butter
6 tablespoons Hot pepper sauce
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
4 tablespoons Soy sauce
1 cup Brown sugar
6 cloves Garlic, minced
Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Place wings in a baking tray.

In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, hot pepper sauce, cayenne pepper, soy sauce, brown sugar, and garlic.

Brush wings with the sauce.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until cooked through, basting frequently.

Just before serving, pour remaining sauce over wings, broil for one minute to crisp the skin.

Back to top Go down

Re: Cookin up the splendid!

Post  gary barry gordon on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:54 pm

Dangit Al! You beat me to the recipe thread! I'm guessing your wings aren't the Healthy Heart option...

I love a good Thai green curry, and I make a killer dish! I also have quite a few different versions, from decadent to healthy. I'll put both options up (take note of the footnotes, too).

This is a dish I've been doing for years and it's a matter of playing with it and putting your own spin on it. Use the ingredients that work for you.

What you need:

• Thai green curry pasteº
  • 500g of a "white" meat of your choice (chicken, fish or prawns)¹ chopped up into about 2cm cubes
  • 430ml can of coconut cream/evaporated skim milk²
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (raw, brown or palm)
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce
  • 1-2 cups of vegies³ chopped up into bite size bits
  • 1 slosh of extra virgin olive oil; a teaspoon or so (it's supposed to be peanut oil, but this is healthier)
  • Rice or risoni pasta (rice shaped pasta) to serve

Method:

First know that this gets messy, so I use a splatter proof wire mesh cover over the wok, to prevent repainting my kitchen in Thai Green Curry paste.

1. First heat up the oil in the wok until it's... well... hot. Keep it on a high heat at first.
  2. Add the green curry paste. The more spicy you like it, the more paste you add. Keep stirring it! This is also by far the messiest part of this recipe (it slatters everywhere!). Cook this until it's "fragrant" (pansy speak for "until your missus can smell it in the lounge."). That takes about a minute or so.
  3. Add the coconut cream/evaporated skim milk and bring to a low boil (so it's not going nuts, but bubbling all over). That should take about 2-4 minutes. If you're using evaporated skim milk, it cooks a lot quicker and bubbles like mental, so you need to stir it throughout the whole recipe.
  4. Turn the heat down so it's only just bubbling.
  5. Add the vegies, slower cooking stuff (like zucchini) first, then the quicker stuff (like broccoli) about 2 minutes later. Stir it occasionally, to make sure it all cooks evenly. If you're using asparagus, don't put it in until you put your meat in.
  6. Add the meat. Stir it in well, to make sure it's all coated with the juice, then stir it until it's cooked.
    • If you're using chicken thigh or breast, it only needs about 5-6 minutes (you shouldn't be able to see any pink bits of chicken, it should all be white).
    • If you're using fish, it generally takes the same amount of time. You'll see the texture change and it'll be white (I like it to be flaky and fall apart).
    • If you're using prawns, it doesn't even take 4 minutes. Cook them until they go pink.
  • Last of all, when you're just about to turn off the stove, add the sugar and fish sauce and stir it in until the sugar's dissolved. That takes all of a minute. These ingredients are the difference between a great curry and a killer curry.
  • Serve it all up and bog in!!

• º Use whatever curry paste you want. This also works with red or yellow curry paste. It's a matter of taste as to which you use. My favourite brand is "Asia @ Home".
    ¹ Chicken thigh is the easiest to cook with, as it doesn't turn to leather if you cook it for too long, and it's probably the tastiest, but also the highest in fat. If you're using chicken breast, it's a good healthy option, but very easy to over cook. If you're using fish, use a white fish (like blue eye or sea perch). If you're using prawns, make sure they're shelled & deveined (the black vein in their back is poo!). Prawns are also easy to overcook, but worth the effort.
    ² You can use coconut cream or coconut milk. A super healthy option is evaporated skim milk with a teaspoon of coconut essence as a substitute, but it cooks like milk, so you have to be a lot more careful with it.
    ³ Use your fave vegies. I love zucchini, beans, broccoli, bamboo shoots and asparagus in this recipe. I don't think potato or pumpkin goes as well with this as it does with Indian curries.

That's about it! I hope someone has a go at it!

Cheers & beers,
    Henry.

Back to top Go down

Post  BiG Al on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:02 am

Cheers for that fella,
    I love a good Thai Curry and have also experimented loads in the past.
    I found this recipe to be the best yet…but I will try yours!

Ingredients
    For the curry paste
    4 lemongrass stalks, tougher outer leaves discarded
    6 medium-hot green chillies, seeded and chopped
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
    5cm/2in piece of galangal or ginger, peeled and chopped
    2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
    4 tbsp chopped coriander
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp chopped lime zest
    1 tbsp nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
    ½ tsp ground black peppercorns
    For the curry
    750g/1lb 10oz free-range chicken breasts or thighs, bones removed
    3 tbsp groundnut oil
    200g/7oz chestnut mushrooms, quartered
    400ml/14fl oz tin coconut milk
    400ml/14 fl oz homemade or ready-made chicken stock
    8 lime leaves
    1 tbsp nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
    leaves from a large bunch (about 20g/0.7oz) basil, shredded
    15g/½oz fresh coriander (leaves and stalks,) roughly chopped

Method
    1. For the curry paste, slice the lemongrass finely. Put it in a food processor with all the remaining curry paste ingredients and whiz to a thick paste, pushing the mixture down from time to time with a spatula. Transfer to a glass or china dish, cover tightly (otherwise it will taint everything in the fridge) and refrigerate.
    2. For the curry, cut the chicken into finger-thick strips.
    3. Warm the oil in a casserole and, when hot and sizzling, add the chicken strips and let them colour slightly on all sides. You will need to do this in batches to avoid crowding the pan.
    4. Remove the cooked chicken pieces from the casserole with a slotted spoon.
    5. Pour in the coconut milk and stock, then add the lime leaves, four heaped tablespoons of the curry paste, the fish sauce and half of the chopped herbs. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
    6. Return the chicken to the casserole with a further tablespoon of the paste and simmer for five to six minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the last of the herbs and serve.

Also check out this Ribs recipe…..it make the whole house smell like a Chinese restaurant!

Ingredients
    6 tbsp thickish honey
    3 heaped tbsp oyster sauce
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 tsp dried chilli flakes
    4 whole star anise
    ¼ tsp salt flakes
    ¼ tsp black peppercorns
    1.5kg/3lb 5oz meaty pork ribs
    steamed rice, to serve

Method
    To make the marinade, spoon the honey and oyster sauce into a roasting tin or baking dish. Peel and chop the garlic and add it to the dish with the chilli flakes, star anise and salt. Grind the peppercorns roughly and add them to the marinade.
    Toss the ribs in the marinade, then set aside for an hour or so. It won't hurt if they stay there overnight.
    Roast the ribs at 180C/355F/Gas 4 for an hour and fifteen minutes, turning them in their sauce from time to time. Keep an eye on them, as sometimes they tend to burn easily. They are ready when the meat is tender, though far from falling off the bone, and the ribs are glossy with sauce.
    Serve with rice, spooning over the sauce from the pan.

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzy dustin on Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:00 pm

BiG Al wrote:Hi...
    Had a real food fuelled weekend..........we cooked up a load of Caribbean food and grazed for the entire weekend.
    What food ticks all your boxes and show me some of yer fave recipes!

Here is the best recipe ever for chicken wings!!

BiG aL's Buffalo Wings
    Ingredients:
    24 Chicken wings
    1/2 cup Melted butter
    6 tablespoons Hot pepper sauce
    1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
    4 tablespoons Soy sauce
    1 cup Brown sugar
    6 cloves Garlic, minced
    Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Place wings in a baking tray.

In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, hot pepper sauce, cayenne pepper, soy sauce, brown sugar, and garlic.

Brush wings with the sauce.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until cooked through, basting frequently.

Just before serving, pour remaining sauce over wings, broil for one minute to crisp the skin.

Good looking out.. Gonna hook it up sometime this week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum