Post  obie on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:49 pm

turntablist wrote:
obie wrote:Maybe one of them could get their own range of Tefal pans

If the spot doesn't show "turn it up!", sorry had to be done Wink

hahah brilliant!

Back to top Go down

Pete the Cow

Post  Lindy on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:01 am

I'm geeking out imagining myself rocking full Meatshake apparel in the kitchen... Smile

Back to top Go down

Re: How did you discover UD?

Post  Jam on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:47 pm

turntablist wrote:
obie wrote:Maybe one of them could get their own range of Tefal pans

If the spot doesn't show "turn it up!", sorry had to be done Wink

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzy dustin on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:09 pm

What up newbies.. Thanks for sliding thru..

Back to top Go down

Post  jaster on Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:12 pm

UD originally hit me from two different directions, at just about the same time. A good buddy of mine from high school has been doing hip hop shows since the late 90s and has always been pretty plugged into the underground scene. He'd frequently let me know about dope groups he'd run across, and I'd check them out. Well, it was the summer of 2001, and he told me I had to check out this group, Ugly Duckling, and their latest album (which turned out to be JTA). Well, maybe about a month had gone by, and I hadn't yet got around to it, but I found myself watching the film Boiler Room one night. Decent flick, but then this slowed-down, chilled out hip hop track starts playing in the background and I thought, 'this is dope, I wonder who it is... I'm gonna look 'em up.' And boom, "Get on This," by Ugly Duckling. I stopped screwing around and went out and picked up JTA the next day. Tried to get Fresh Mode too, but it took me a little while to track that one down. Anyway, been a huge fan ever since. Can't wait to see the boys live one day. You guys ever going to be near the Chicago area!?

Back to top Go down

Post  BiG Al on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:02 pm

I just rolled off my missus after a romantic time and I leaned over the side of the bed to get my celebration banana I usually eat after a triumphant moment and there they were.........under the bed...performing the entire Fresh Mode ep.....better than a banana........exciting!

Not really it was finding Fresh Mode the day it came out in the UK on the tiny hip hop stand....loved it!

Back to top Go down

Post  L-Train on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:13 am

I know I'm late to this party, but here's my UD story...

I think it was winter of 2000, home in Vermont for Christmas break during my jr year of college and I was putting in my favorite artists on some (relatively new to me) internet site called "amazon.com". I had recently been turned onto Jurassic 5 during the previous year (and fell in love with them) and was determined to find some more worthwhile hip hop with that early 90's vibe.

From putting in my favorite artists at the time (Tribe, J5, De La, Beasties...) Amazon suggested 2 groups to me: 1) PUTS & 2) UD. I think they had free downloads on Amazon back then and the track Journey to Anywhere was on there (it was a version from some other compilation album that had the piano intro from Introduckling at the beginning of it). I made room on my computer (not much storage space back then) and proceeded to download and check it out. I of course fell in love instantly.

Growing up in the woods of VT, meant I had to drive 45 minutes to the nearest big city (Burlington) to the only indie record store I knew. Thankfully they had Fresh Mode. I remember when I purchased it, the kid working the register said to me something like: "Take this home and listen to again and again until you have every word memorized. You will then be addicted."

I took his words to heart and the beats & rhymes caught my attention immediately and I was hooked. Einstein's production was all of my favorite things about hip hop. Dizzy & Andy's rhymes were clever, smooth, and had a positive upbeat vibe that I totally dug. I had found a new favorite. I got Journey to Anywhere soon after and put it and Fresh Mode on cassette so that I could bump it in my old ass car.

And they have been one of my all time favorites ever since.

I just FINALLY got Audacity last week (yes I slept for a minute) but that's only because I couldn't find it anywhere in Pittsburgh. You would think no longer being in the Wooded wilderness of Northern New England and in one of the bigger cities in America I'd be able to find it. But I wasn't able to to. And had to instead turn to my old friend Amazon.

I see a lot of shows, but unfortunately UD has not been one of them. The closest I've ever come was seeing Cut Chemist at Bonnaroo 2004 and he played his remix of Eye on the GoldChain, and people around me gave me weird looks as I shouted along every word. Ironically they seem to visit my home-state (VT) quite often, but I have been in PA for 6+ years and never had the opportunity to be up there when they were. Someday I'll get to...

Until then, keep doing it UD. Keep Doing it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Raphone on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:10 am

Read a review of 'I Did It Like This' in the now sadly defunct Muzik, downloaded it (illegally, sorry, but I was young and naive and I don't do that anymore), thought it was pretty good, nothing more, but for some reason went and bought 'Jouney To Anywhere' anyway. And.....pretty much loved that album to bits, if it wasn't on my stereo it was in my car, and even now if I'm going on a long journey it's one of the first cd's I pick up to take with me. Have bought everything UD have done since, seen them live a couple of times, can't wait to see them again on the new UK tour.

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezie on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:44 am

I had heard 'eye on the gold chain' played on the b-boy scene, and wanted to hear more. A friend of mine, and fellow b-boy 'Risk' told me U.D were playing at the mean fiddler on Charing Cross road. It was a small venue, but it was an awesome gig. I never looked back. Trying to accumulate all the U.D vinyl i can, which i play at the b-boy jams i now dj. Also work in HMV, so i make sure we always have U.D in stock!
Props you guys.

Back to top Go down

How?

Post  lukich1014 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:40 am

Found that, surprisingly in a bargain bin in an essex record shop, didnt even listen to it for around 3 weeks then I found 'Abigail Silk'
From that point onwards I have bought a couple of LPs (sorry I cant name them, the vinyl collection is swamped)
and to be frank I have fallen in love with the style harnessed by UD!

Back to top Go down

Post  turntablist on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:58 am

Ah Abigail silk, I just love the Fender Rhodes in that!

T

Back to top Go down

Post  deathofhifi on Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:04 pm

gary barry gordon wrote:I'm sure I told this fable on the original forum, but just in case, here it is again:

I ventured into my local record store where I saw this CD with a quirky cover (see below) sitting on the shelf (at full price). I looked at it, had heard of none of the 35 tracks on it, so put it down. The next week, same thing. This CD cover was just haunting me. This went on for over a month, I just couldn't justify paying full price for a CD of which I had no idea even what genre the music was, let alone the content of it.

So I bought it.

On that CD was Eye On The Gold Chain, by some group called Ugly Duck (or ugly Herring, or something like that). It was some years after that when I saw Taste The Secret, and knew I knew the group. The album cover was funny, so I bought it. Oddly, I loved that one too.

I guess it's true that you CAN judge a book by its cover.

That's my story.

Thats almost exactly how I discovered them too. I'd fallen a little out of love with Hip Hop and this CD (and the great UD track) made me remember just how creative and fun it could be again.

Back to top Go down

Post  WOTM_BREAKS on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:28 pm

I discovered these guys by there track "Energy Drink" being used on a 411VM (Skateboard DVD mag). The track fitted so well with the section and was a class tune to my ears that I decided to buy the album. I did so and loved it and have been hooked ever since! As soon as I saw them live in Cardiff for the first time I knew they were easily my favorite group and thanks to them I was introduced to other artists like Giant Panda and PUTS.

Back to top Go down

Post  Azules on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:35 pm

I heard "I Did It Like This" on the radio, Triple J.

Ever since "I wrote a little rap about my fat cat / Now I'm the cat with the fat rap and I did it like that", I was hooked.

Haha, got to love it. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Mr DJ YODA

Post  bungleski on Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:43 pm

A similar story, borrowed How to cut and paste from a mate, and loved it. went online and googled all the artists I liked that I didnt know from the cd. Hmmmm Ugly Duckling, bit random, downloaded a few tracks online.about 2 days later had my first UDCD journey to anywhere and somethnig special was born. It amazes me still how many people dont know about you guys, I have converted many at random parties! UD ROCK!!

LONG LIVE ANDY DIZ AND STEIN!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Breanne on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:35 pm

I used to work in the basement of a book shop unpacking and sorting books all day, a colleague brought in a mixed cd and pickup lines was on there. Went out and bought the album the very same day.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jam on Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:02 pm

Breanne wrote:I used to work in the basement of a book shop unpacking and sorting books all day, a colleague brought in a mixed cd and pickup lines was on there. Went out and bought the album the very same day.

Well, look, it's Breanne(a), nature's little gem...

Couldn't resist!

Glad to have you here, post on the regular! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  mistermil on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:04 pm

+1 more for DJ Yoda's How To Cut and Paste. Saw Taste The Secret on hiphopsite.com when it came out, recognised the name and picked that up. Thought it was a great album, so I picked up all the Ugly Duckling I could from then.

Saw them live for the first time on Friday and thought it was about time I joined the UD community.

Only one question : When is the next album coming out?

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Tighe on Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:04 pm

haha same on the Yoda mixtape. Looks like it brought a lot of us here.

Back to top Go down

Post  MisterXofer on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:30 pm

I was so late to the party that they forced me to clean up.

When I first started dating my girl about 3 years ago, she was listening to an album one night when I stopped by after work. It was the most precise, poetic, and hilarious hip hop I had ever heard. Taste the Secret quickly found it's way into my hands.

I quickly and ravenously consumed any other UD music I could get my hands on. I've been in love ever since.

The interesting flip to this story is that I swear beyond all shadow of a doubt that I recall a group playing the opening set at a show here in Toronto (well prior to 2003, i think) that started their set with Opening Act. I may be crazy, but I would love to believe that it was my first taste of UD. Sadly, I can't find any documented proof of them ever being here.

Back to top Go down

Post  ray on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:34 pm

Was chatting about good hip-hop in a chat room and someone brought up UD.
After hearing "A Little Samba" and the entire JTA LP, I haven't looked back Wink

Back to top Go down

...this has turned out to be something of a tome, haha!

Post  Lindy on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:21 am

I got so excited about the meatshake apparel (WHICH, I am fully planning on fabricating for myself over this coming winter break...artwork permission has been obtained!) that I forgot to tell my discovery story! I am incredibly cheeky and stubborn, not to mention a bit of a "pop-culturally"(made that word up, haha) sheltered nerd...the kind that doesn't watch much tv, ever listen to the radio or watch/read the news. I pretty much live inside my own little bubble of scholastics and retro tastes (i.e. the golden girls, cream, black sabbath, knitting, baking, fixing stuff in the garage). Many of my close friends know how resistant I am to new things that are entertainment related, mostly because I feel that there are so many other things I could be doing, like homework or art projects.

Anyway, I had this long time friend who lived in Salt Lake while I lived in Minneapolis. We talked on the phone quite a lot and I had a lot of respect for him. It was well known that I was a hater of "rap" and other such popular music and I had known him to feel the same on the matter.

We were chatting one day and he told me he'd recently found a love for old school rap and hip hop. Shocked and aghast, I was very intrigued to hear what could turn this once psycho-billy and punk rock only guy into a hip hop machine. He made me a UD mix tape. I was not immediately turned off (which shocked me) by the music and it was in no way what I had understood "rap" to be (my only exposure was on the radio, which i already hated as an entity itself). It was actually really good!

What hooked me was all the little details. You know how you listen to UD songs over and over and you start to notice all the funny little lines and references that you missed the time before? The intricacy, intelligence and humor in the lyrics ("i stay stable like a neutron", "every action has a reaction equal and opposite" come on, how could i not love that) were something I'd never heard before. It started the ongoing love affair I have for UD now, has introduced me to a few new friends and has also helped me to have a date for my best friend's wedding in England next summer. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Jam on Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:58 pm

mistermil wrote:Only one question : When is the next album coming out?

I know it's in the final stages, so shouldn't be too long Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top